Thursday, October 8, 2009

Webcam

Sometimes a phone call just isn't enough to satisfy the need to keep in touch with loved ones. When I moved away from home for the first time to attend Purdue University, I was very homesick. I missed not being able to talk to my mom and dad every day after school and each morning. When I was a freshman, texting was starting to be very popular, but my parents did not know how to text. 

As a freshman in college, I purchased a Macbook Pro. This was my first personal computer. I loved the fact that it was portable, easy to use and good for my major at the time: Art and design. The built-in webcam was also a great feature. The webcam allowed me not only to chat with my parents, but also see their faces. This made a world of a difference. My parents and I would schedule a time each week to video chat. It was very helpful in communicating between us. 

Video chatting is much like a conversation. Of course, you cannot physically touch the other person you are interacting with, but it is much more personal and interactive than a phone call or text. In addition, with video chatting, you can see others' facial expressions and gestures. The only drawback in my mind is that oftentimes the chat freezes up. This means that sometimes, your screenname will force quit and sign you offline. 

To this day, I am thankful that I have webcam abilities on my computer. It has helped to continue the strong relationship I have with each of my parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment